Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Bracket Madness

Hello everyone, and welcome to the Lukas Peterson Bracket Selection Special. You're probably reading this for one of two reasons: either you need help making selections on your tournament bracket, or you plan on laughing in my face when none of my picks pan out in the end. Whichever excuse it may be, I am proud to bring you my picks for the round of 64 during all of this March Madness. Going through each region, I will present to you my winners and an explanation as to why I feel that way. Before I begin, I would like to point out that by no means am I a so called bracketologist, but I spend way too much time watching college basketball to not give my opinion to my followers. My overall thesis for this tournament is simple: Ohio State is the best team in the tournament, after that, it is about making your bracket unique from others and hoping that those picks work out for you. So with that, let us begin this crazy journey....
East Region:
1 Ohio State vs. 16 TBD- The real question here isn't whether Ohio State will lose to either of the two possible opponents in their first round game, it has to do with how impressive the #1 overall seed performs and impresses their supporters. In my opinion, Ohio State got shafted with the most difficult bracket possible, but they are the best team in the tournament and my eventual champion.
8 George Mason vs. 9 Villanova- At one point in the season, George Mason won 16 in a row, while Villanova has fallen off the map and has no momentum coming into the tournament. I like George Mason in this one.
5 West Virginia vs. 12 Clemson- Clemson looked like a team that belongs last night in their First Four game against UAB. I feel like the Tigers have a real shot against over-seeded West Virginia, even though they will be playing two games in under 48 hours. My first upset pick is the Tigers over West Virginia.
4 Kentucky vs. 13 Princeton- Princeton won their automatic bid by beating Harvard on a last second shot in the Ivy League Championship. I don't see any sort of heroics happening for the Tigers in this game. Kentucky worked their way through the SEC Tournament impressively, and dismantled Florida in the championship game. I feel as though the Wildcats are destined for a date with Ohio State in the Sweet 16, so give me Kentucky in this one.
6 Xavier vs. 11 Marquette- A trendy upset pick so far, but I feel the opposite. The Big East was very strong this season, claiming 11 bids in the tournament, but Marquette is not one of the stronger representatives. Tu Holloway of Xavier is a wonderful talent, and Xavier as a team played well in the surprisingly good Atlantic 10 this season. I like Xavier's athletes more in this matchup.
3 Syracuse vs. 14 Indiana State- Many people filling out brackets nowadays look for the most vulnerable  3 seed to go down in their first game, but Syracuse is not that team. I like the Orange, and it shouldn't be close.
7 Washington vs. 10 Georgia- Washington is primed for a tourney run for a few reasons: they won 2 games in the tournament last year, and they are champions of the Pac-10 tournament. Having momentum going into the tournament will help teams like the Huskies. I like Washington to advance.
2 North Carolina vs. 15 Long Island- The Tar Heels have improved greatly over the course of this season, Harrison Barnes is finally playing like an All-American, and they will win their opening game of the tournament.

West Region:
1 Duke vs. 16 Hampton- Duke won the ACC Tournament, they may be getting Kyrie Irving back, and they are the defending champion. Sorry Hampton, your season ends here.
8 Michigan vs. 9 Tennessee- My Volunteers have looked great at times this season, and also looked downright awful, but I like them here because Michigan has never looked anything other than mediocre in the Big Ten. Give me the Vols.
5 Arizona vs. 12 Memphis- Not used to seeing Memphis as a lower seed, but they do make a strong 12 seed. Memphis isn't what they used to be, so I will take the Pac-10 regular season champs in Arizona.
4 Texas vs. 13 Oakland- Not only was Texas badly under-seeded, but they were given a matchup with one of the strongest 13 seeds I have ever seen in Oakland. Oakland has a legitimate NBA prospect in Keith Benson, but I really like Texas in a tournament setting with all of their talent. It will be a good game, but I think the Longhorns survive.
6 Cincinnati vs. 11 Missouri- Cincinnati is another one of those mediocre Big East teams that I feel are over-seeded at a 6. Missouri was a ranked team for much of the season, and they like to get out and run the court. I like Missouri in a mild upset.
3 UConn vs. 14 Bucknell- Kemba Walker has been my player of the year for a while now, and he only helped his case with stellar performances at MSG, but how will 5 games in 5 days affect the Huskies? It won't affect them enough to make a difference in this round. UConn advances.
7 Temple vs. 10 Penn State- Not the most exciting matchup, but I like what I have seen from Penn State all season, because they have Talor Battle and they can shoot the lights out when they need to. I have the Nittany Lions advancing.
2 San Diego State vs. 15 No. Colorado- The Aztecs are part of an elite group, a higher seed from a non-power conference. Between them and their battles with BYU during the regular season, we really have no idea what they are made of. I know that they are made of enough to get by Northern Colorado, advance the Aztecs.
Southwest Region:
1 Kansas vs. 16 Boston U- I think Kansas is the second best team in the tournament, and they have an array of talent around the twins, Marcus and Markeef Morris. Jayhawks breeze by in their first game.
8 UNLV vs. 9 Illinois- UNLV has tournament experience and also has had their share of challenges in the Mountain West this year, while Illinois doesn't impress me in the least. Like I said before with Michigan, Illinois is a power conference team that just doesn't have it in my eyes.
5 Vanderbilt vs. 12 Richmond- Those who know me, know that I am skeptical about the SEC as a basketball conference. This is a matchup of an over-seeded SEC team against one of my sleepers in the mid-major category, Richmond. Vandy doesn't have a great history with powerful sleepers, which is why I see the Richmond Spiders advancing.
4 Louisville vs. 13 Morehead State- Louisville has largely overachieved this season in the Big East, and I feel that Morehead State presents a tricky test for the Cardinals, but Louisville will play well enough to slide by Morehead.
6 Georgetown vs. 11 USC/VCU- The two 11 seeds play each other tonight in Dayton, but many feel that USC will advance from that mismatch. Georgetown is another streaky Big East team that has struggled without Chris Wright, but I feel that they are superior to either USC or VCU, whether they have Chris Wright or not. I am taking the Hoyas.
3 Purdue vs. 14 St. Peter's- Purdue has a very rare situation in college basketball these days, their two best players are also their undeniable Senior leaders, who provide a large amount of their team's points. E'twaun Moore and Jajuan Johnson will boost Purdue in the tournament, simply because they don't want their college careers to end, which is why Purdue will beat St. Peter's.
7 Texas A&M vs. 10 Florida St.- Two teams that play defense will present an interesting outcome. Florida State is banking on the return of their scoring leader Chris Singleton, while A&M doesn't shoot well at all. I would rather have the Aggies though because they aren't depending on a return from injury.
2 Notre Dame vs. 15 Akron- Notre Dame has flown under the radar of the nation all year, but these guys play like a team, and don't depend on one guy. When they do need a shot, Ben Hansbrough will play that role. They shouldn't have a problem with the Zips.
Southeast Region:
1 Pittsburgh vs. 16 UNC Asheville- This region will give you headaches, and could be the key to winning your whole pool. Top seed Pittsburgh survived the Big East as best they could, which is why they find themselves as a 1. Past tournament troubles are what make others question their performance, but they will have no problem here. Panthers advance.
8 Butler vs. 9 Old Dominion- Butler is tested, and almost played Cinderella all the way to a championship last year. The Bulldogs will take care of a pesky Old Dominion team in a very close affair.
5 Kansas State vs. 12 Utah State- A trendy upset pick in Utah State, but I think that Kansas State will find some magic that they didn't have early in the season, when they opened the season ranked 3rd in the country. Jacob Pullen is the guy that does it for K-State, and he will not say die. Kansas State pushes forward.
4 Wisconsin vs. 13 Belmont- Belmont has only lost 4 times all year, which makes you wonder why they are a 13 seed, while Wisconsin scored 33 points in their previous game. I feel like teams that shoot the 3 well, find their stroke in the tournament, which is why I think Belmont pulls the upset against the Badgers. I also should mention that I HATE the Badgers.
6 St. Johns vs. 11 Gonzaga- The Johnnies have seemed to me like a very tough team throughout the season, even though they lost a key piece recently. Gonzaga isn't the Gonzaga of old, which is why I think St. John's will advance.
3 BYU vs. 14 Wofford- Many say that BYU isn't the same team after losing Brandon Davies to violations, but the thing for me is that they still have Jimmer Fredette. They will not lose to a mediocre Wofford Terrier team in the first round, not with the Senior leadership of Jimmer Fredette.
7 UCLA vs. 10 Michigan State- Izzo wins tournament games, and although his team hasn't looked the same this year, they are playing their best basketball at the right time. Kalin Lucas will put his stamp on the tournament before his team loses, I don't think he will let UCLA end his career. I like Sparty.
2 Florida vs. 15 UC Santa Barbara- My disliking for SEC teams is much debated, but Florida got a very easy draw by being selected as the 2 seed in the Southeast. They should not be a 2 seed at all, and their position will help them advance farther than they should, but they shouldn't have much problem with UCSB.

No comments:

Post a Comment